Welcome to my personal web page.
I'm a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Program for Atmospheric &
Oceanic Sciences (AOS) at Princeton University.
I'm working with Dr. Sonya Legg and Dr. Robert Hallberg.
I am interested in small scale mixing in the ocean.
This includes gravity currents, exchange flows and deep convection.
I focus on idealized process studies using high resolution numerical simulations.
- Affect of topography in overflows
- Mixing in stratified flow
- Turbulence closures
- Interaction between overflow and mesoscale eddies
- Hydraulically controlled exchange flow
Fig 1. Evolution of the passive tracer isosurface field in a flow over a ridge problem.
The red, green and blue isosurfaces are 0.25, 0.2 and 0.15, respectively. It is an indication of mixing
that the red (densest) isosurface do not pass on the downstream side of the ridge.
Fig 2. Evolution of the temperature field in a lock-exchange problem.
Horizontal and vertical axes are in (m).
- Ilıcak, M., Adcroft, A., Griffies, S. M., Hallberg , R., "Spurious dianeutral mixing and the role of momentum closure", Ocean Modelling , 45-46, 37-58, 2012. (.pdf)
- Ilıcak, M., Vallis G. K.., "Simulations and Scaling of Horizontal Convection", Tellus-A , submitted, 25th May 2011.
- Ilıcak, M., Legg,
, Adcroft, A., Hallberg
, R., "Dynamics of a dense gravity current
flowing over a corrugation", Ocean Modelling , 38, 71-84, 2011.
- Ilıcak, M., Özgökmen, T. M., Johns, W. E., "How does the Red Sea outflow interact with Gulf of Aden eddies?", Ocean Modelling , 36, 133-148, 2011.
- Ilıcak, M., and Armi L., "Comparison between a non-hydrostatic numerical model and analytic theory for the two-layer exchange flows", Ocean Modelling , 35, 264-269, 2010.
- Ilıcak, M., Özgökmen, T. M., Özsoy, E., Fischer, P.F., "Non-hydrostatic modeling of exchange flows across complex geometries", Ocean Modelling , 29, 159-175, 2009. (.pdf)
- Ilıcak, M., Özgökmen, T. M., Peters, H., Baumert, Z. H., Iskandarani, M., "Performance of Two-Equation Turbulence Closures in Three-Dimensional Simulations of the Red Sea Overflow", Ocean Modelling, 24, 122-139. 2008.(.pdf)
- Ilıcak, M., Özgökmen, T. M., Peters, H., Baumert, Z. H., Iskandarani, M., "Very Large Eddy Simulation of the Red Sea Overflow", Ocean Modelling, 20, 183-206. 2008. (.pdf)
- Ilıcak, M., Ecder, A., and Turan, E., "Operator Splitting Techniques for the Numerical Analysis of Natural Convection Heat Transfer", International Journal of Computer Mechanics, 84:6, 783-793. 2007. (.pdf)
Contact InformationMehmet ILICAK
Princeton University Forrestal Campus
201 Forrestal Road
Princeton, NJ 08540-6649
Web Page: http://www.mehmetilicak.com
Phone: ++1 (609) 452-5335